This is a longer walk than normal, being between 18 and 19 Kms, and will take us on a circular route that ascends and descends between 613 metres to 800 metres at our highest point. From our meeting point we will walk up to the La Puerta del Caballo following a familiar narrow track up a barranco and through the pine woods. We will ascend 187 metres over this first stretch of about 2 Kms. We then continue down from La Puerta to the plains of Ardal using narrow woodland tracks and we will have good views across to La Fuente de Caputa. After walking over part of the plains we will enter woodland again as we make our way to the Estrecho del Moro following the contours parallel to the mountain. On this section we have to cross several steep barrancos which will involve a few short, steep descents and ascents. On reaching the estrecho we will start our ascent back up the mountain to El Collado de Moro which is a steady uphill section rising just over 200 metres in 3 to 4 Kms. From here it is all downhill through the woods to our original meeting place.
Meeting (see directions below)
Place: Forestry car park above La Bermeja (north side of the Sierra de Ricote)
Time: To leave at 10:30 am
As the walk will take 5 hours plus stops, please bring a picnic lunch and plenty of water. Sticks may be useful on some stretches of the route.
Martin by email on email@example.com confirming how many wish to walk. I can also be reached on my mobile: 630 80 78 48 but a written communication is safer!
· From the RM15 (Murcia to Caravaca) take the exit to Calasparra and Cieza ( RM-532 junction 33). Continue towards Cieza (i.e. don’t turn off to Calasparra)
· Drive approx. 12km. Turn right at km 14, following the sign to Ricote (RM or MU) B-15
· Continue for approx 4 or 5km. Turn right (ignore the first turn) at the sign for La Bermeja (an old school house with recycling bins and a bus stop)
· Continue uphill for approx 3km (slow road, occasional sharp bends). Eventually the tarmac runs out and becomes a forestry track with a few tight bends at the beginning but the surface is ok for a normal saloon car.
· After entering the area under the trees continue approx 400 – 500m until another track joins from the left
· The car park is immediately on the right. TAKE CARE to drive in on the top side (enter too soon and there’s a large drop!)